Why It’s Beneficial to Skip Meat One Day Per Week
We love to grill, and we love meat on the grill. Did you know, though, that you can skip meat on the grill?
Health experts suggest we add more veggies and forgo meat at least one day per week. They also suggest eating more meatless meals is even good for the planet
In this article, we look at why it’s beneficial to skip meat one day per week.
The History of Meatless Monday
For a great part of our history, people have been searching for ways to feel better every day. In fact, going meatless was an idea first introduced during World War I.
While it wasn’t for health reasons, people wanted to make what food they did have last longer. It was a way to help the war effort.
Then, in 2003, Meatless Monday became a public health initiative. According to the Meatless Monday website, “Today, Meatless Monday is supported by millions of people in over 40 countries and is backed in science and research by the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health Center for a Livable Future.”
The Benefits of Skipping Meat
Ditching the meat one day per week makes a huge difference in your health. By eating more plant based items on Monday, you’ll not only feel better, but you’ll reduce your carbon footprint and help the health of our planet.
Here are some more health benefits:
- It takes a lot for our bodies to break down animal proteins. If you have digestion problems, you might find it beneficial to take a break from eating meat.
- Eating more vegetables, beans, and nuts can reduce your risk of heart disease and improve your heart health.
- You may find managing your weight is easier when you eat less meat.
- It’s easy to get protein through beans, nuts, soy, vegetables, and even dairy products.
- Eating less meat may decrease your risk of getting Type 2 Diabetes.
- You may have more energy when you take meat out of your diet once a week.
- It’s good for the planet. Eating a plant based diet just one day per week adds up as it takes a tremendous amount of resources to produce meat. Did you know that livestock create more greenhouse gases than all the cars, trucks, planes, and trains in the world?
Grilling Without Meat
For most diehard grill masters, cooking without meat seems like a sacrilege. But, you can do it, and you can love it, too!
Don’t forget that summer grilling season kicks into high gear as many vegetables hit their peak. This is the perfect time to grill a cauliflower steak or a portobello mushroom burger.
You can also make delicious casseroles like meatless lasagna, vegetable chili, cheese pizza, and macaroni right on your grill!
Wondering why people chose Monday to go meatless and skip meat? Well, aside from the obvious alliteration, many of us start a new week on Mondays. We may decide to exercise more, sleep better, and make better use of our time beginning with Monday.
So, as we try more healthy behaviors and launch them at the start of the week, Meatless Monday came to be.
With multiple grill and outdoor kitchen choices at Ultra Modern Pool and Patio, we’d love to help you find the perfect grill for your needs and your budget. In addition, check out our recipe section on our blog for many healthy veggie (and meat) recipes! Try one of our favorite recipes for this Grilled Veggie Sandwich.