Earthquake Tips for Pool and Spa Owners
Have you felt the latest round of earthquake tremors? Did it leave you wondering about the safety of your home, pool and hot tub? In this article, you’ll find tips for handling problems that may arise!
Get our earthquake tips for pool and spa owners.
When there is an earthquake, the underground pipes in your home move and shift; this is also true of your swimming pool and hot tub.
This creates the potential danger for water and gas leaks that if left untreated are hazardous to your health and property. It’s important to check for leaks after earthquakes and aftershocks!
- Know the location of your emergency shut off valves – this includes gas and water.
- Make sure the main house shut off valve is in good working order.
- Tag your shut off valves so they are easy to find.
- The easiest way to spot a water leak is to listen for running water – do you hear it after you’ve turned everything off? Is your pool losing water? Or, is your water or gas bill higher than normal? Leak problems may take time to develop so continue to follow-up weekly after an earthquake.
- Remember though, if damage has occurred to your swimming pool and/or hot tub, it may not be immediately obvious to you in the form of a heavy flow of water. Things you might notice: a dropping waterline, cracks in the tile or mud near your pool, pool equipment, spa or spa pumps. Leak problems may take time to develop so continue to follow-up weekly after an earthquake. Another item to watch for would be a water or gas bill that is higher than normal.
- Call Ultra Modern! Our service department is at the ready to help.
Another safety tip from your friends at Ultra Modern!
Image: Margot Pandone