Grilled Lollipop Chicken Legs with Hoisin Sauce
This delicious recipe for Grilled Lollipop Chicken Legs with Hoisin Sauce will please adults and kids alike! Try it on your grill today!
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1/2 yellow onion, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled, smashed and roughly chopped
- 10 star anise
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1/2 tablespoon cloves
- 10 chicken legs, skinned and trimmed with tendons removed to expose the leg bone
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic chili sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves, chopped plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon 5 spice powder
- Black and white sesame seeds for garnish
- 1 red jalapeño, sliced thinly for garnish
- Bring all ingredients to a boil in a medium saucepan. Cook until the salt has dissolved about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and add 4 cups of ice to cool.
- Rinse the chicken legs and pat dry with paper towels. Remove the skin and trim the bottom 1/3 of the leg bone of skin and tendon. Repeat with the remaining chicken legs. Place in a gallon size freezer bag and cover with the Asian brine, seal and refrigerate for 4 hours up to overnight.
- Preheat two sides of the Saber grill on medium high for 10 minutes.
- Prepare the grill with a light coating of walnut oil on the grates. Remove the chicken legs from the brine, rinse with water and pat dry with a paper towel. Season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper and place on the two hot sides of the grill and cover. Cook for 5 minutes then turn the chicken legs, continuing to cook and turn for a total of about 25 minutes or until chicken legs are cooked through.
- Meanwhile, mix the hoisin sauce, garlic chile sauce, garlic, chopped cilantro, rice wine vinegar, honey and 5 spice powder in a small bowl.
- Baste the chicken legs with the hoisin sauce mixture and cook for another 2 minutes or so then remove from the grill. Sprinkle with black and white sesame seeds and garnish with more cilantro leaves and thinly sliced red jalapeño. Serve hot or at room temperature with the hoisin dipping sauce.
Recipe and Photos from Sabre grills and the Better Barbecue Blog.