Protect Yourself from Mosquitoes
With our incredibly rainy spring in Wichita and the surrounding areas, Mother Nature has provided a ripe breeding ground for our least favorite pests.
Standing water, puddles, pool covers, and any area where there is water is the ideal place for mosquitoes to lay their eggs. What’s more, when warm weather follows the rain – which is the case here – mosquitoes are bound to run amok.
Ready to protect yourself from mosquitoes? Learn how to keep them at bay in your own backyard.
Take Away Their Habitat
The best thing you can do is make your backyard less hospitable to mosquitoes. Here are a few tips:
- Keep your trees, bushes, shrubs, and lawn trimmed. Because adult mosquitoes rest during the day, their favorite spot is underneath your vegetation. If you keep yours trimmed, there is less space for them to rest.
- Get rid of any standing water. This includes bird baths, pet bowls, swimming pool covers, hot tub covers, and anything else in your yard. If there’s no spot for eggs, the mosquitoes will look elsewhere.
In addition, these spots are often overlooked, so make sure there is no standing water in them:
- Gutters – be sure to get rid of leaves and debris, too.
- Flowerpots – pour out any standing water.
- Grill covers – just like the cover for your pool and hot tub, it should stay water-free.
- Baby pool – empty it after each use.
- Birdbath – change the water every other day.
- Leaky pipes – have these repaired.
- Tires swings – put holes in the bottom so water drains out.
- Ponds and pools – keep up with your chemical treatment so the water stays clean.
In addition, you want to protect yourself while outside. Wear long sleeves and pants as well as insect repellent.
You can also limit your exposure in the early morning hours and early evening hours when mosquitoes are most active. Avoid shady areas in the day and untreated areas, too.
Take these tips to heart, and you’ll have an easier time dealing with those pesky bugs this spring and summer in the greater Wichita area. Questions about your hot tub, pool, or grill cover? Give us a call or stop by today!